Share Notes 4-9-20
CSA Share Notes:
The winter garden has wound down. The next harvest will be our first week of Spring CSA!
- Kale—Regular shares received lacinato kale (wrinkly and very dark green). Large shares received Red Russian (flat, oak leaf). We’ve got a great technique: massaged kale salad, to which you can add any number of delicious toppings. I love it with just fresh mango, salt and olive oil. A honey-citrus dressing with fresh squeezed grapefruit and orange juice would be excellent.
- Spinach—A nice big bag of fresh, iron-rich spinach. Some of these leaves are bigger than you’d typically want for a salad. They’d be great in a Minestrone.
- Leaf Lettuce—These leaves are so tender! Handle the leaves delicately and consume within a few days.
- Beets—Chioggia for the large shares, and Red Ace for the regular shares. Remember the greens are delicious, too! With beets, roasting is definitely the way to go, as the high heat makes them so much sweeter. Drizzle in oil, wrap in foil, 400 degrees, about 1-1.5 hours depending on size. We like to then sauté the leaves till tender, then add in the sliced roasted beets, and top with an orange and balsamic reduction. They’re so good!
- Carrots—Lovely bunches of our crunchy, long rooted carrots.
- Radishes—these are French Breakfast radish, a wonderful, crunchy heirloom. We like to slice them thin on sandwiches or salads, or dip into hummus, but our favorite is to just snack on them sliced thin with sea salt and lemon juice.
Veggie Storage tips:
Everything will keep longest stored in the fridge sealed up in produce bags. All root crops should be severed from their tops to keep the roots from getting rubbery. Everything will need a gentle washing before cooking, but leave the dirt on until you’re ready to use them to prevent spoilage. We’d love to hear stories and recipes of your culinary adventures this week. Send us a note or post a comment of how you’ve used your CSA share.
Your farmers, Jess & Justin
Regular Share top left to right: Beets, bagged spinach, bagged lettuce, and Lacinato kale, on bottom: French breakfast radishes, and carrots.
Large Share top left to right: Chioggia Beets, bagged spinach, bagged leaf lettuce, Red Russian kale, and on bottom, French Breakfast radishes, and carrots.