2013 Fall Share #3
Here’s your third Fall CSA share! See what your box holds this week.
- Daikon Radishes- White and slender. Slice into little rounds and sprinkle with salt or toss into a salad. Before storing in the fridge, cut off the top to keep the root crisp. Wash just before use. Tops are also edible! if you haven’t yet tried radish greens pesto, this is the time!
- Arugula- a delicious spicy addition to a hearty salad, can also be cooked into soups. Store sealed in a bag in the fridge to prevent moisture loss. Wash just before use.
- Sweet Potatoes- Try some mashed sweet potatoes or sweet potato fries! Store at room temp and don’t wash until ready to use.
- Collard Greens or Kale- Try your greens this week cooked into a pasta dish in place of spinach or in some homemade macaroni and cheese. Greens are so high in minerals and vitamins, I try to work them into most meals in creative ways. Store sealed in a bag in the fridge.
- Eggplant- Everyone received some of the large Italian variety, and the small shares also received a little fairytale eggplant. They are so good roasted at a high temp in the oven. Try roasting them with red onion and sweet potatoes. Store sealed in the fridge.
- Malabar Spinach- This healthy green is great cooked into winter soups. Store sealed in the fridge and wash just before eating. Check out the kitchen blog for tips on using this item.
- Hot Peppers- Anaheim and Jalapenos. Check out the blog for some great recipes on variations of stuffed peppers. Yum!
In this week’s large share: (clockwise) Anaheim and Jalapenos, Kale or Collards, Malabar Spinach, two lovely varieties of Italian Eggplant, Daikon Radishes, Sweet Potatoes.
In this week’s small share: (clockwise) Fairytale Eggplant and light purple Italian Eggplant, Sweet Potatoes, Red Russian Kale, Arugula, Malabar Spinach, Jalapenos and Anaheims.