Spicy Sweet Potato Soup with Greens
Rainy autumn days like these call for this simple favorite of ours, packed with flavor from the fall garden. Make it with bacon, and you add a smoky-sweet note, or leave it out for a vegetarian version.
4 lbs sweet potatoes
1 medium onion
4 slices bacon (optional)
3 garlic cloves
1/2 stick butter
2 cups of chopped collards, kale, or Swiss chard, without stems
6 cups chicken stock (or substitute vegetable stock)
1-3 jalapenos, seeded, cored, and minced (to taste)
2 teaspoons cumin
1 cup cream or half & half
3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
- Scrub sweet potatoes, cut into quarters, place in large stock pot, cover with water and boil until soft.
- Drain and set aside to cool. When cool enough to handle, remove skins.
- Chop onion, garlic, and raw bacon.
- In a large soup pot, melt butter. Add bacon, onion and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add chopped greens and simmer until very tender (about 3-5 minutes)
- Using a potato masher, immersion blender, or regular blender, puree the sweet potatoes with the jalapenos, cumin, and cream. Stir into soup. Add salt and pepper. Stir well; heat through.
Serves about 6.