Share Notes April 3, 2021
CSA Share Notes:
Welcome to your final winter season share! Thanks for coming along for the ride. We’re down to the last few winter crops, so you’re not getting a large number of different crops, but luckily there is a lot of each item so it’s still a really good harvest.
Here’s this week’s vegetable line up:
- Spinach— A large 12oz bag of spinach to the large shares and 6 oz bag for the regular shares, enough for multiple servings. A spinach lasagna would be particularly nice, as would veggie enchiladas, and it’s perfect for beefing up the nutrition in any carby dish like mac and cheese, or mashed potatoes.
- Kale—Red Russian for the regular shares and Curly kale for the large shares. This crop is excellent in soups and stews, massaged into a tender salad, or cooked into all sorts of dishes. Our kitchen blog has quite a few kale recipes to browse.
- Arugula flowers—for the large shares only. nutty and floral with a touch of arugula’s pepperiness. Pick off the little white blossoms and put atop a salad.
- Lettuce—A large 12oz bag of lettuce to the large shares and 6 oz bag for the regular shares, delicious and tender. Make a plan to have loads of salads this week!
- Carrots— So many gorgeous sweet carrots! We hope you enjoy these. Crisp and delicious
- Beets— lovely, petite bulls blood beets, with incredible greens. You can cook them all together as one large side-dish, or cook them separately. I always suggest roasting and then glazing the beet roots, with maybe an orange maple glaze. Then I like to chop the beet greens up into a veggie egg scramble in the mornings.
Veggie Storage tips:
Sever all roots from their greens so they don’t get rubbery. Store all greens and roots sealed up in bags in the fridge. Everything will need a significant washing before cooking, but leave the dirt on until you’re ready to use them to prevent faster spoilage.
We’d love to hear stories and recipes of your culinary adventures this week. Send us a note or post a comment of how you’ve used your CSA share.
Jess & Justin