Share Notes 7-21-16
CSA Share Notes:
Welcome to this week’s CSA share. Here’s your vegetable line up:
- Eggplant— Small shares received our tiny Fairy Tale eggplant variety with a few receiving slender Japanese eggplant. Large shares all received a really large amount of Japanese eggplant. These eggplant are tender and soft. This week I roasted some and then served them dices into a chilled pasta salad and it was really good. Try them on the grill or cooked on a hot cast iron pan until blistered- so yummy.
- Bell peppers—Each share received a whole bunch of our colorful bell peppers. This with our wonderful Japanese eggplant gives you the base ingredients for one of my favorite dishes: Summer Veggie Green Curry!
- Jalapenos—Each share received a couple of bright, juicy jalapenos.
- Squash and Zucchini—Everyone received a few squash and zucchini this week. Some are smooth and straight necked, others are bumpy and crook necked. Both are fantastic! Squash and zucchini spoil quickly and bruise easily on their journey to you, so use them up fast.
- Onions—Each share received a few of our sweet yellow onions, great for slicing onto a burger, or chopping up into whatever’s on the menu tonight.
- Sungold tomatoes—Each share received a pint of our most prized summer offering: sungold cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!
- Cucumbers—Large shares each received a large, Armenian cucumber. These babies can get looong! They’re really delicious and so unique. We hope you like them. Small shares received a couple of our small slicing varieties. Give our Fridge Pickles recipe a try!
Veggie Storage tips:
As a general rule, wait to wash any veggies until you’re ready to use them to help retain nutrients and prevent spoilage from excess moisture.
The onions, and tomatoes should be kept at room temperature. Same with the bell peppers, and jalapenos, if you’re going to use them up within a couple of days. If it will take you longer than the weekend to use it up, we suggest storing it in the fridge sealed up along with your cucumbers, squash, zucchini, and eggplant.
Thank you so much for being a part of our Summer CSA!
Jess & Justin